- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 1: A Day In The Life Of Có Đáp Án- Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 2: School Talks Có Đáp Án- Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 3: People’s Background Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 4: Special Education Có Đáp Án- Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 5: Technology And You Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 6: An Excursion Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 7: The Mass Media Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 8: The Story Of My Village Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 9: Undersea World Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 10: Conservation Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 11: National Parks Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 12: Music Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 13: Film and Cinema Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 14 The World Cup Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 15 Cities Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
- Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 16 Historical Place Có Đáp Án – Mai Lan Hương
Bài Tập Tiếng Anh 10 Unit 16 Historical Place – Mai Lan Hương Các bạn xem bài tập có key ở dưới để cũng cố kiến thức và ôn tập một cách hiệu quả.
UNIT 16 HISTORICAL PLACE
I. Put the following words into the correct categories.
television, Asia, decision, leisure, pleasure, machine, measure, illustration, information, shop, garage, message, match, seizure, finish, usual, occasion, essential, sure, ocean, washing, closure, admission, vision, special.
II. Complete these sentences with the correct form of the verbs from the box.
memorialize engrave represent achieve exist
witness flourish construct establish preserve
1. The color red is commonly a ______________of danger.
2. The peasants depend on a good harvest for their very____________
3. In Germany, the baroque style of art___________________ in the 17th and 18th centuries.
4. The Prime Minister today unveiled a__________________ to those who thy died in the disaster.
5. Most of the buildings are in an excellent state of _________________
6. His name was________________________ on the trophy.
7. Quoc Tu Giam was __________________ in 1076.
8. She was given a prize for her_______________ in textile design.
9. Several journalists ______________ the incident in which eight people were injured.
10. The company will finance the____________ of a new community sports center.
III. Complete the passage with the appropriate words. Use one word only in each space.
Van Mieu (Temple of Literature) was (1).............in 1070 as a dedication to the founder of: infusionism. Six years later, Quoc Tu Giam - the first (2) .................of Viet Nam was established on the (3).............. of Van Mieu. At first. only the members of the members of the royal family could (4) .............Quoc Tu Giam, but later it was open to all (5).................. sons of the mandarins in the country. In 1482, King Le Thanh Ton ordered the erection of (6)..........with inscription of the names, birthdates, birthplaces and achievements of the doctors and other excellent graduates (7)...........took part in examinations since 1442. Each stele is placed on the back of a (8) ..............representing the nation's longevity. In the Nguyen (9)..............., Quoc Tu Giam was moved to Phu Xuan (Hue Royal City). Nowadays, Van Mieu Quoc Tu Giam is a famous historical and cultural (10).............. in. Vietnam.
IV. Complete the sentences. Each time use the comparative form of one of the words in the list. Use titan where necessary: relaxed, intelligent, wide, confident, simple, peaceful, important, nice, alike, high.
1. This exercise is too difficult. I think you should make it....................
2. I feel much ..................now that the exams are over.
3. The last exam was quite easy and I began to feel ................... about my results.
4. In some parts of the country, prices are ............................. in others.
5. In my thinking, health and happiness are...................... money.
6. Our new car is a little .................. our old one, but still fits easily into the garage.
7. Can you think of anything ..................o say?
8. I like living in the countryside. It's ................. living in a big city.
9. Indian food is....................Chinese, I think.
10. Now that they had both had their hair cut, the twins looked even usual..............
V. Write the superlative form of the words in brackets.
1. That film was.............film I've ever seen. (boring)
2. It's been ........... day in London for 35 years. (hot)
3. The telephone is one of.....................inventions ever. (useful)
4. Some people now consider her to be................. figure in British politics. (confident)
5. They've got a lot of money. They're ......................club in the country. (rich)
6. ......................... ancient Indian burial ground is near Austin, Texas. (recently/ discovered)
7. This is ..................... I've ever got up. (early)
8. I've got....................... computer in the world! (powerful)
9. Who is..................... student in the class? (clever)
10. The factory uses................production methods. (modern)
VI. Choose the right forms in these sentences. In some caste forms are right.
1. Is your house much further/ farther?
2. Who is the oldest/ eldest in this class?
3. Your driving is worse/ worst than mine.
4. Have you heard the last/ latest news?
5. We have no further/ farther information.
6. His last/ latest words were: 'The end'.
7. Trevor spends less/ lesser on clothes than Laura does.
8. His English is gooder / better than mine.
9. It's the better/ best in the shoe.
10. Jane is older/ elder than I am.
11. My elder/ older sister got married last year.
12. Emma made the least/ less mistake!
13. The Hotel Bristol has the more/ most rooms.
14. I haven't got many books. You've got more many/ more than I have
15. Even if the worse/ worst happens, you shouldn't give up hope.
VII. Complete the text with the comparative or superlative of the adjectives in brackets.
California is (1) .................(famous) state in the USA. It isn’t (2).......... (big) state; that's Alaska. But it's got (3)...............(large) population and it's certainly (4)...............(important) state for the US economy. It's (5) ..............(rich) than most countries in the world. The coast has one of (6) .............. (good) climates in. the USA; it’s (7) ..............(warm) and (8) ..............(dry) than most place. Some people would also say it's (9) ..............(beautiful) states ! But California has some problems; Los Angeles has one of (10).......... crime rate of any US city.
VIII. Some of these sentences are correct, and some have a word wm should not be there. If a sentence is correct, put a tick (v). If incorrect, cross the unnecessary word out of the sentence
1. I've got the least powerful computer in the world.
2. London is more biker than Birmingham.
3. Silver isn't as expensive as gold.
4. Indian food is the nicer than Chinese.
5. The telephone is one of the most useful inventions ever.
6. I feel much more better now, thank you.
7. The longer you wait, so the harder it'll be.
8. The piano is heavier than the sofa.
9. This is the most quickest way to the hotel.
10. You're taller than he is.
11. Who is the cleverest student in of the class?
12. The weather is getting hotter and more hotter.
IX. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first. Use the word in brackets.
1. This train is more convenient than all the others. (most)
2. The living room isn't as large as the kitchen. (than)
The kitchen ____________________________________________
3. I'm not as fit as you. (am)
4. The table and the desk are the same size. (big)
The table _____________________________________________
5. The dress is cheaper than the skirt. (expensive)
The skirt ______________________________________________
6. This crossword is the easiest. (difficult)
This crossword _________________________________________
7. Their excitement was increasing all the time. (excited)
They were getting _______________________________________
8. I've never read a more romantic story. (most)
' It's __________________________________________________
9. Prices just get higher all the time..(and)
10. A bus is cheaper than a taxi. (less)
A bus ________________________________________________
X. Read the passage, then choose the correct answer.
Hoi An Ancient Town is situated 30 km south of Da Nang and known as a Faifoo to early Western traders. Hoi An was one of the major trading centers in Southeast Asia in the 16th - 17th centuries. Hoi An was also an. important port of call for Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese, Japanese. Indonesia and other merchant vessels in the Far East. In the town. there are one or two streets. whose original structures remain almost intact. All the houses were made of rare wood and were decorated with horizontal lacquered board and vertical panels engraved with Chinese characters. Hoi An is highly attractive for historical, geographic, artistic, architectural.... aspects.
In recent years, Hoi An has become a popular tourist destination in Viet Nam. In 1999, it was certified by UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage.
1. Hoi An Ancient Town _______________________
a. is situated in Da Nang.
b. was formerly a major trading center.
c. was famous to Western traders.
d. was the most important trading center in Southeast Asia.
2. Many merchant vessels in the Far East ________________________________
a. docked at the port of Hoi An.
b. might have a call in Hoi An.
c. used to visit Hoi An.
d. engaged trade with Hoi An.
3. Some streets in Hoi An__________________________
a. are harmed.
b. are being changed their original
d. are in bad conditions.
c. are still well-preserved.
4. The old houses in Hoi An ______________________
a. ere full of Chinese characters.
b. were made of boards and panels
c. were engraved on rare wood.
d. were made of wood and carved with ornamental designs
5. Hoi An ______________________
a. is attractive for its historical aspect.
b. is a destination of a lot of tourists.
c. is a World Cultural Heritage Site.
d. all are correct.
TEST FOR UNIT 16
A. Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. a. famous b. flourish c. honour d. behaviour
2. a. citadel b. brilliant c. architecture d. site
3. a. merchants b. achieve c. architecture d. scholar
4. a. preserve b. measure c. decision d. usual
5. a. ocean b. special c. musician d. certify
6.. a. dynasty b. dragon c. banyan d. statue
B. Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
1. a. achievement b. memorial c. university d. historical
2. a. establish b. educate c. engrave d. preserve
3. a. laureate b. dynasty c. architect d. traditional
4. a. representative b. examination e. destination d. mausoleum
5. a. literature b. attractive c. flourish d. ceremony
II. VOCABULARY AND EXPRESSION
Choose the word or phrase - a, b, c, or d - that best completes the sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase. .
1. Temple of Literature is a the famous historical and cultural.............. in Ha Noi.
a. temple b. remain c. ground d. site
2. All the pillars of the old house were carved with ornamental designs.
a. written b. engraved c. painted d. decorated
3. Van Mieu was a place to...................the most brilliant scholars of the nation.
a. remember b. memorialize c. certify d. impress'
4. Few businesses are flourishing in the present economic climate.
a. growing well b. setting up c. closing down d. taking off
5. Hue Imperial City was certified as a World Cultural................. in 1993.
a. History b. Tradition c. Heritage d. Site
6. President Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum was built in September 1973 and completed in August 1975.
a. a large impressive tomb b. a house on stilts.
c. a very large building d. a catacomb.
7. Reunification Hall .............. the collapse of the US-backed government of South Viet Nam.
a. saw b. watched c. told d. witnessed
8. Van Mieu is an example of well-preserved.....................Vietnamese architecture.
a. tradition b. traditional c. traditionally d. traditionalism
9. Quoc Tu Giam used to be a Confucian school reserved for sons of the...................
a. royalty b. imperialism c. feudalism d. Confucius
10. His novels were originally published in serial form in a magazine.
a. actually b. unusually c. truly d. initially
III. GRAMMAR AND STRUCTURE
A. Choose the word or phrase - b, c, or d - that best compels. sentence.
1. 'Would you like to comment on Ann's qualifications'?' ..............the people in the company, Ann is the most skilled.'
a. In all b. From all c. Of all d. To all.
2. John's grades are really bad.' `Yes, but Tim's are.............
a. worse b. worst c. badder d. so worse
3. 'How was the exam?' 'Well, it was quite easy.................. we expected.
a. more easy that b. more easy than c. easier than d. easier
4. My brother is two years .................me.
a. as old as b. older than c. elder than d. b and c
5. ....................'Jane doesn't seem interested in learning to swim.'
‘You’re right. Betty is the ........... of the two.'
a. most enthusiastic b. more enthusiastic c. enthusiastic d. most enthusiast
6. Brian has been working ................... since has was promoted.
a. much harder b. more harder c. more hardly d. as harder
7. 'Would you like to try this hat?" Have you got one…………….?
a. with a wider brim b. with more wide brim
c. which a wide brim d. more wide than
8. 'Mark walks so fast." Well. I think the faster he walks, …………………
a. more tired he gets. b. the more tired he gets
c. he gets more tired d. he gets tired
9. got. ten dollars: 'I think I have ...................... money than you.'
a. least b. fewer c. less d. fewest
10. 'Sorry we're late. Your house is ............... we thought.-'Never mind.
a. more farther than b. the farthest c. much farther than d. more for than
11. The Himalaya Mountains are the ...........................
a. heigh of world extensive. ranges b. ranges of the most extensive.
c. world's most extensive ranges d. more extensive ranges of the world
12. have ................ next week because I'll have done all my exams then
a. less time b. the most time c. much more time d. more s'
13. people go to the football matches now than twenty years ago.
a. Less b. Lesser c. Fewer d. Few
14. The Duke of Westminster is...............in Britain.
a. second richest person b. the richest second person
c. the second richest person d. the second rich person
15. 'How old is he?' 'I've no idea, but I'm sure he...........you if you ask him.'
a. will have told b. will be telling c. is going to tell d. will tell
B. Identify the one underlined word or phrase - A, B, C or D - that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
1. The northern part of the United States generally receives much more snow as the southern
A B C D
2. You did much more better in the last test than in this one.
A B C D
3. I will be try to get over to see you, but I've got a very busy weekend coming up.
A B C D
4. Patrick doesn't run quickly as Lee, but he can run farther.
A B C D
5. We'll travel for a couple of days, so you won't be able to call us.
A B C D
6. I think the faster you read, the least you understand.
A B C D
7. Not everyone realizes that the most lamest organ of the human body is skin.
A B C D
8. In all the cities I've visited, I like New York the best.
A B C D
9. It was in a cave near Magdalena, New Mexico, when the oldest known ears of cultivated corn
A B C
10. Ceramics can be harder, light, and more resistant to heat than metals.
A B C D
Choose the sentence that best completes the conversations.
1. A: ________________________________
B: The Statue of Liberty is older. It was built in 1886 and the Eiffel Tower wasn't built until 1889.
a. is the Statue of Liberty older than the Eiffel Tower?
b. Which is older, the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower?
c. When were the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower built?
d. Which is the oldest, the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower'
2. A: ________________________________
B: The Pacific Ocean.
Which is a large ocean in the world?
What's the most large ocean in the world?
What's the world's largest ocean?
Which ocean is the largest ocean of the world?
3. A: ________________________________
B: Vatican City has the smallest population in the world ... only eight hundred people live there!
a. What country has the population smallest in the world, Monaco, Luxembourg, or Vatican City?
b. Which is the world's smallest population, Monaco, Luxembourg or Vatican City?
c. What's the smallest population in the world, Monaco, Luxembourg, or Vatican City?
d. Which country has the smallest population in the world, Monaca Luxembourg or Vatican City?
4. A: ________________________________
B: No, they both weigh the same.
a. Is a pound of gold heavier than a pound of butter?
b. Which is heavier, a pound of gold or a. pound of butter?
c. Which is the heaviest, a pound of gold or a pound of butter?
d. Does a pound of gold weigh more heavy than a pound of butter'.
5. A: ________________________________
B: it's Shanghai.
a. Which is the biggest city on the world?
b. What's the biggest city in the world?
c. Which city is the biggest city of the world?
d. What's the city that is biggest in the world?
V. READING COMPREHENSION
A. Choose the words or phrases that best complete the passage.
Westminster Abbey is a very big (1) ...............in Westminster, London. It is one of the (2) ..............famous buildings in London. Most of the present building.(3) .............. replaced an earlier one. was built in the 13th and 14th centuries, in the Gothic (4) ............... Every English king and ,queen has been crowned there (5) ..............William the Conqueror in 1066. (6) ..............famous English people are buried in the Abbey or have (7) ............. in it, and it contains. Poets Corner and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. In 1997, the (8) ..............of Diana. Princess of Wales. (9) ..............there. The Abbey was (10) ..............a World Heritage Site in 1987.
1. a. tomb b. mausoleum c. building d. church
2. a. most b. best c. least d. worst
3. a. that b. whose c. which d. where
4. a. kind b. style c. method d. taste
5. a. during b. from c. for d. since
6. a. Every b. Many c. More d. A lot
7. a. memory b. memories c. memorials d. memorization
8. a. wedding b. ceremony c. baptism d. funeral
9. a. took part b. took place c. got over d. set up
10. a. rewarded b. called c. made d. comprised
B. Read the passage, then choose the correct" answer.
Cu Chi. is located at the threshold of Sai Gon and adjacent to the revolutionary base. Cu Chi played an important role in the two wars of resistance against the old and new colonial powers. Cu Chi was an 'underground village' with its labyrinth of interlaced tunnels having a combined length of more than 200km. The main tunnel is 60 – 70 cm wide and 80 - 90 cm high. Above the tunnel is a layer of earth about 3m - 4m thick, enough to sustain the weight of 50-ton tanks or heavy artillery as well as the destruction of bomb§ up to 100kg. Although it is ?an underground communication network, the tunnel is enlarged here and there into rooms large enough to hold large meetings, a medical station or art performances. Those who had set foot in that tunnel network. should greatly admire the talent, determination and endurance of the communist guerillas. The soil in Cu Chi. was as hard as stone, but with such rudimentary handtools as hoes and shovels, they had dug and removed tens thousands of tons of earth and stone, and camouflaged the openings so well that nobody could find them. Many people-have called it a wonder of the 20th century.
1. Where is Cu Chi situated?
a. At the entrance to Sai Gon. b. In Sai Gon.
c. On the way to a revolutionary base. d. Near Cu Chi Tunnels
2. Cu Chi tunnel ............................
a. is very wide and long. b. is a complicated network of winding passages.
c. has a thin layer of earth above. d. connects underground networks.
3. The word 'them' in line 15 refer to .........................
a. the guerillas b. the tunnels c. the openings d. earth and stone
4. Which of the following sentences concerning Cu Chi Tunnel is not mentioned.
a. The tunnel is strong enough to support the destruction of bombardments.
b. There are meeting places in the tunnel.
c. The tunnel was dug by hand.
d. The openings of the tunnel were covered with bushes.
5. People who visited Cu Chi Tunnel ....................
a. set foot in that tunnel network.
b. was impressed by the work of the communist guerillas.
c. admired the complication of the tunnel network.
d. made it a wonder of the 20th century.
6. Which of the following sentences is true?
a. Cu Chi was an important revolutionary base.
b. The area-of Cu Chi is about 200 square kilometers.
c. The soil in Cu Chi is uncultivated.
d. Cu Chi was called a wonder of 20th century.
Choose the sentence (a, b, c or d) which has a similar meaning first one.
1. I've yet to meet a more exasperating person than my brother-in-law.
a. My brother-in-law is the most exasperating person I've ever met.
b. My brother-in-law is more exasperating than I am.
c. I've never met a more exasperating person than my brother-in-law.
d. a and c are correct.
2. Our meal will be over by eight o'clock.
a. We finish our meal at eight o'clock.
b. We will be having our meal by eight o'clock.
c. We will have finished our meal by eight o'clock.
d. We will have our meal at eight o'clock.
3. Their excitement was increasing all the time.
a. They were getting more and more excited.
b. They feel more excited than they used to.
c. They felt most excited.
d. They were getting the most excited.
4. Impressed as we were by the new cinema, we found it rather expensive.
a. We were very impressed by the new cinema. but found it rather expensive.
b. We were not very impressed by the new cinema at all because it looked rather expensive..
c. We weren't as much impressed by the new cinema's look as its cost.
d. The new cinema was more expensive than we expected.
5. My father doesn't play tennis as well as he used to.
a. My father used to play tennis very well.
b. My father used to play tennis worse than he does now.
c. My father is used to playing tennis better than now.
d. My father used to play tennis better than he does now.
6. Fewer people came to the meeting than we had expected
a. Too many people came to the meeting.
b. There were more people at the meeting than we had expected.
c. We had expected more people to come to the meeting.
d. We had expected less people to come to the meeting..
I. Choose the words that best answer the following questions.
1. Which of the following words is stressed differently from the rest?
a. mausoleum b. memorial c. achievement d. development
2. Which of the following words is stressed on the first syllable?
a. engrave b. flourish c. represent d. preserve
3. Which of the following words doesn't have the same vowel sound?
a. found b. town c. grow d. crowd
4. Which of the following words has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others?
a. theater b. southern c. northwest d. cathedral
5. Which of the following words has the final pronounced /s/?
a. caves b. matches c. relics d. festivals
II. Choose the word or phrase - a, b, c, or d - that best corn,: sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase.
6. Van Mieu was representative of Confucian ways of thought and behaviors.
a. traditional b. typical c. memorial d. cultural
7. The stone stelae were ................. with the names of the doctor laureates.
a. written b. cut c. designed d. engraved.
8. The collection has been sold to the British Museum where it will be ...............for the nation.
a. conserved b. existed c. preserved d. impressed.
9. She felt intense fear mingled with excitement.
a. contacted b. added c. contained d. mixes
10. Hoi An is a famous tourist attraction with many ...............sites.
a. royal b. natural c. cultural d. attractive
11. These plants ..................in a damp climate.
a. root b. found c. exist d. flourish
12. New York is.............by its hundreds of tall offices and aspartame.
a. symbolized b. characterized c. impressed d. famous
13. Washington State is famous ................. its apples.
a. with b. to c. on d. for
14. About 90 percent of all the people ................New Jersey live
a. in/ in b. on/ in c. in/ at d. in/ or.
15. The match has been................ from Wednesday night to Friday cause of the bad weather.
a. cancelled b. competed c. postponed d. watched
III. Choose the correct answer a, b, c, or d - that best completes each sentence.
16. Don't phone me at home at 6:00 p.m. tomorrow. I................. then
a. will be working b. am working c. will have worked d. have been working
17. I asked him what time it was but he said he..............a watch.
a. doesn't have b. didn't have c. haven't had d. hadn't had
18. I'm ................... in that film because it was based on the story written by my favorite novelist.
a. interest b. interesting c. interested d. interests
19. If you................., I would have brought my friends over to your house this evening to watch TV, but I didn't want to bother you.
a. had studied b. studied c. hadn't been studying d. didn't studied
20. Kay really likes children, so I'm sure .............happy to baby-sit for us.
a. she's going to be b. she'll be c. she's d. she'll have been
21. We noticed ............. away from the house.
a. him to run b. he runs c. him running d. him ran
22. Many leading members of the opposition party..................to justify the decision.
a. had tried b. has tried c. have been trying d. try
23. The government has introduced ....................
a. a children's clothes tax b. a tax on children clothes
c. a children clothes tax d. a tax on children's clothes.
24. .................. the most popular form of fiction writing.
a. Novel is b. The novels is c. The novels are d. Novels are
25. We need the house..................
a. to be redecorating b. redecorating c. is redecorated d. to redecorate
IV. Identify the one underlined word or phrase - A, B, C or D - that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
26. She asked .me what did I think of the performance the previous day.
A B C D
27. Snowshoes allow a person walking on snow without sinking into it because they distribute the
A B C
person's weight over a wide area.
28. The French Quarter is the most famous and the most old section of New Orleans.
A B C D
29. I used to do my own taxes, but now I have done them by an accountant.
A B C D
30. I don't know the name of the woman whom I spoke on the phone last night.
A B C D
When you will return home next month, we will have finished the project.
A B C D
32. A twenty-one-Years old man became the second casualty yesterday when he lost control of his
A B C D
If you had taken my advice before doing the work, you would have been to do it more better
A B C D
34. Because of rain or snow there are always more than fifty thousand fans at football games.
A B C D
I wish I have a car. it would make life so much easier.
A B C D
V. Choose the one option - a, b, c or d - that best completes the passage.
In the (36) ..............days of the cinema, before sound was introduced, silent films were (37)..............by a pianist, or even a small orchestra playing in the cinema itself. One reason for this was to cover up the noise of the projector. However, a more important role was to provide (38)..............for what was going on in the film and (39) ..............the audience through the story. Different kinds of music were associated with different situations, such as fights, chases, roman- tic scenes and so on. Music was also used to identify the geographical location or historical (40).............. of the story. In addition, individual characters often had their own tune, which could also (41)..............what sort person they were.
Music added something extra to what was happening on the flat screen. It could create atmosphere and (42) .............. the involvement of the audience one moment encouraging them to relax, the next developing a (43) .............. of tension. And all this was done without any words being spoken.
Audiences at that time would have been (44) .............. with the musical language connected with the traditions of popular theatre, and many of these were transferred to the new medium of the cinema. Today, (45) .............. the films produced may be technically very different from before, much of musical history still remains.
36, a. early b. beginning c. starting d. original
a. imaged b. taken c. made d. accompanist
a. comment b. support c. description d.. suggestion
39: a. persuade b. send c. follow d. guide
a. making b. setting c: adding d. taking
a. point b. put c. indicate d. draw
a. increase b. rise c. grow d. lift
43. a. sight b. sense c. emotion d. sign
44. a. popular b. educated c. familiar d. experienced
45. a. because b. despite c. instead d. although
VI. Choose the best answers, a, b, c, or d.
REUNIFICATION CONFERENCE HALL
Previously on the ground of the present structure was Norodom Palace built in 1868 as a residence of the French- Governor General of Cochinchina. On September 7, 1954 Norodom Palace was renamed the Independence Palace and became the Presidential Palace in which President Ngo Dinh Diem of the Sai Gon. administration and his family lived and worked. in February 1962, a dissident of the Diem regime launched an air bombardment of the palace and heavily damaged it. After that, Diem decided to demolish the damaged structure and built a new one which was designed by Western-trained architect Ngo Viet Thu. The construction. was undertaken by Sai Gon sappers and completed in 1966. At 11:30 on April 30, 1975, tanks of the Liberation Army over-rim the palace. The then Sal Con president. Mr. Duong Van Minh, who had just assumed the post of president together with his 45-member cabinet surrendered unconditionally. After the liberation of Sai Gon, the Independence Palace was turned into the Headquarters of Municipal Military Administrative Committee. In December 1975, the palace was the venue of a consultative conference for national reunification. To mark the historical significance of that event, the building was renamed Reunification Conference Hall.
46. Reunification Conference Hall ...............................
a. is also called Norodom Palace.
b. is on the ground of Norodom Palace.
c. was built in 1873.
d. was a residence of the French Governor General of Cochin china.
47. What happened to the original structure?.
a. It was named the Independence Palace.
b. It was designed by architect Ngo Viet Thu.
c. It was demolish ad by a dissident of the Diem regime.
d. It was heavily damaged by an air bombarrnenta
48. According to the passage, .....................
a. The Independence Palace witnessed the collapse of the government of South Viet Nam on 30 April 1975.
b, The Independence Palace was built by the army.
c. The Independence Palace used to be the place from which military action was controlled.
d. All are correct.
The word 'overran" in line 10 means .............................
a. occupied b. passed c. approached d. attacked
Which of the following is not true?
a. The Independence Palace used to be the president's home.
b. After 1975, the Independence Palace was renamed Reunification Conference Hall.
c. The US-backed government of South Viet Nam surrendered without conditions
d. Reunification Conference Hall marked the historical significance of the liberation of Sai Gon.
THE SECOND-SEMESTER EXAMINATION
Time allowed: 60 minutes
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently frig that of the others
a. look b. good c. soon d. foot
a. ask b. angry c. bad d. hat
a. they b. father c. think d. although
a. space b. musician c. center d. recycle
a. of b. deaf c. leaf d. wife
II. Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
a. supply b. contain c. damage d. preserve
a. cathedral b. museum c. historical d. mausoleum
a. communicate b. emotion c. combine d. language
a. environment b. endanger c. orphanage d. disastrous
a. documentary b. cartoon c. exciting d. detective
III. Choose the word or phrase – a, b, c, or d - that best completes each sentence.
Mother Teresa, ............. , was a very generous person.
a. who helped poor people in Calcutta
b. whose helped poor people in Calcutta
c. that helped poor people in Calcutta
d. helped poor people in Calcutta
2. By the time we got there, the film ........................
a. finished b. have finished c. will have finished d. had finished
13. The World Cup is.............for its clash of football cultures.
a. more and more. b. worse and worse c. coldest and coldest d. further and further
I've known him................... we was in college.
a. until b. for c. since d. during
She knows more Italian...........................
a. than I do b. than I c. than me d. Both a and. c
You will become ill ..................... you stop working so hard.
a. until b. if c. when d. unless
13. Brazil became the first team to win the .................... five times.
a. victory b. trophy c. final d. champion
19. The parks are ideal places for people to................ from the noisy and busy life.
a. get out b. get away c. get off d. get through
20. .............New York is not the capital of the USA, it is the home of the United Nations.
a. Because b. In spite of c. Otherwise d. Although
21. I'm interested in that film because it was based on the story...................
a. which wrote by my favorite novelist. b. written by my favorite novelist.
c. that written by my favorite novelist. d. it was written by my favorite novelist.
22. The children, ................. parents work late, are taken home by school bus.
a. that b. whom c. whose d. their
23. Some species of rare animals are in danger of ..........................
a. extinct b. extinctive c. extinction d. extinction
24. If I ............. a more reliable car. I ........................to Spain rather than fly.
a. would have/ would drive b. had/ had driven
c. had/ would drive d. had had/ would drive
25. Wednesday is ............. day the doctor can see you.
a. earlier h. most early c. the earliest d. the most early
IV. Choose the underlined part - A, B, C or D - that needs correcting.
26. Many discoveries have made in the fields of Chemistry and Physics.
A B C D
27. Nguyen Du, that wrote Kieu Story, was one of the greatest Vietnamese poets
A B C D.
28. Scientists are predicting that the disease is going to affect over half a million people over the
A B C D
next ten year.
29. I’ve scored a lot more points than he did.
A B C D
30. They let me a lot borrow their are while they were on holiday
A B C D
V. Choose the correct sentence - a, b, c, or d - which has the same meaning to the given one.
31. Had it not. been for the attendance of a famous film star, the party con have been a success.
The famous film star didn't attend, so the party was a failure.
If the famous film star hadn't attended, the party. could have been a success.
The party was successful without the attendance of the famous film
The only reason the party was a success was that a famous film star attended
32. 'You're right, it isn't a good idea,' he said.
a. He offered that it wasn't a good idea. b. He mentioned that it wasn't a idea
c. He agreed that it wasn't a good idea. d. He claimed that it wasn't a good idea.
33. The plants may develop differently. The plants live on that island. .
a. The plants live on that island may develop differently.
b. The plants that lire on that island may develop differently.
c. The plants, which live on that island, may develop different.
d. The plants whose live on that island may develop differently.
34. They will have given up the research by now.
a. The research is being stopped now.
b. The research will be continued by now.
c. The research will have been stopped by now.
d. The research isn't -done now.
35. Unless you can swim, you aren't allowed to sail this boat.
a. Anyone who wants to sail this boat must be able to swim.
b. If you can't swim, you'll have to go in this boat.
c. You may sail this boat whether you can swim or not.
d. Only people who are in this boat allowed to swim.
VI. Choose the words or phrases that best complete the passage.
Researcher have shown that music has many uses besides (36).............Below is a list of reason why some people believe music should be an important component of the school curriculum.
Music, like reading, writing, and speaking, (37) .............. thoughts, ideas, and feelings. It is used for such mundane purposes as selling commercial products and for such noble purposes as inspiring and elevating our (38) .............. of life.
Music is an important means of learning about and (39) .............. cultural heritages. Music helps us to learn about ourselves, our traditions, and our ways of thinking about acting. It also helps us to learn about (40).............. , their traditions and their behaviors..
Through music people become engaged (41) ..............learning process and develop keener insights into how knowledge, skills, attitudes, feelings and the senses interrelate.
Music is a (42) ..............art. Through its study, students come into contact..............with other basic areas of the (43) ..............: math, science, social studies, languages, and physical education. Music offers us an opportunity to develop aesthetic (44) .............. .The study of music teaches people to appreciate quality - those products of human creativity that represent the (45) .............. order of thinking, feeling, and technical achievement.
36. a. recreation b. communication c. emotion d. expression
37. a. represents b. contains c. conveys d. adds
38. a. admiration b. appreciation c. relaxation d. entertainment
39. a. transmitting b. transporting c. broadcasting d. translating
40. a. other b. others c. another d. otherness
4. a. with b. to c. in d. on
42. a. comprehend b. comprehension c. comprehensive d. comprehensively
43. a. schedule b. curriculum c. programs d. courses
44. a. sense b. sensitive c. sensible d. sensitivity
45. a. high b. higher c. highest d. most high
VII. Read the passage carefully, then choose the best answers.
London is a big city, but many of the people who live there regard it as a number of small towns put together. Each district has it own identity and atmosphere and some parts are even described by their inhabitants as 'villages'. Much of the center of the city consists of shops and businesses and the majority of people live in the suburbs. A great many of them travel to work in the city every day by train, bus, tube or car; this is called commuting. Commuters might spend as much as two hours every morning getting to work and another two hours getting home again. The cost of living in London is higher than in most other parts of Britain, and many people are paid extra money on top of their salaries because of this. Millions of visitors come to London every year from all over the world to see the famous sights, such as Buckingham Palace, where the Queen lives, the clock tower from which Big Ben sounds the hours, and many other historic buildings. London is also very famous for its theaters, red buses and black taxis Some people find it a noisy, dirty place but it has many large, pleasant parks where everyone can enjoy some peace and quiet. London has many attractions, both for people from overseas and for people from other parts of Britain.
46. According to many Londoners, London...........................
a. is a big city b. is described as 'villages'
c. is like a combination of small towns d. is regarded as a small town
47. The word 'commuters' in line 6 means ........................
a. people who live in the city, but work in the countryside.
b. people who usually travel to work by public transportation.
c. people who travels regularly by bus, train, or-car between their place of Work and their home (at some distance).
d. people who spend most time traveling to and from work.
48. Many people in London are paid extra money
a. Because they have to spend much money for traveling.
b. Because they live in the suburbs but work in the city.
c. Because they usually work overtime.
d. Because of the high cost of living.
49. The author mentions all the following about London EXCEPT
a. its residents b. its famous sights
c. its financial organizations d. its means of transport
50. Which of the following is not true about London?
a. All the districts of London are similar.
b. People from all over the world have been attracted to London.
c. Many people who work in London commute by train, bus, tube or car, from the suburbs.
d. London has a lot of parks where people can enjoy some peace and quiet.
I. /Ʒ/ television, Asia, decision, leisure, pleasure, measure, garage, message, sei-
zure, usual, occasion, closure, vision
/ʃ/ machine, illustration, information, shop, match, finish, essential, sure, ocean,
washing, admission, special, musician
II. 1. representative 4. memorial 7. established 10. construction
2. existence 5. preservation 8. achievement
3. flourished 6. engraved 9. witnessed
III.1 built 4. attend 7. who 10. site
2. university 5. talented 8. turtle
3. grounds/ premises 6. stelae 9. Dynasty
IV. 1. more simple/ simpler 7. more intelligent
2. more relaxed 8. more peaceful than
3. more confident 9 nicer than
4. higher than 10. more alike than
5. more important than
6. wider than
V. 1. the most boring 3. the most useful
2. the hottest 4. the most confident
5. the richest 6. The most recently discovered
7. the earliest 8. the most powerful
9. the cleverest 10. the most modem
VI. 1. further/ farther 4. latest 7.less 10. older 13. most
2. oldest 5. further 8. better 11. elder/ older 14. more
3. worse 6. last 9. best 12. least 15. worst
VII. 1. the most famous 6. the best
2. the biggest. 7. warmer
3. the largest 8. drier
4. the most important 9. the most beautiful
5. richer 10. the worst
VIII. 3. ۷ 5.۷ 7. so 9. most 11. of
4. the 6. more 8. ۷ 10. ۷ 12. more
IX. 1. This train is the most convenient.
2. The kitchen, is larger than the living room.
3. You are fitter than I am.
4. The table is as big as the desk.
5. The skirt is more expensive than the dress.
6. This crossword is the least difficult.
7. They were getting more and more excited.
8. It's the most romantic, story I’ve ever read,
9. Prices just get higher and higher
10. A bus is less expensive than a taxi.
X. 1. b 2. a 3. c 4. d 5. d
XI. 1. No matter how intelligent you may be, you should be careful about this.
2. No one in Jeanny’s class is as tall as her/ she is.
3. If you had planned things at the start, we wouldn’t be in this mess now.
4. The car which my father bought has a sun roof.
5. The house wasn’t as expensive as we thought it would be.
6. The longer you stay here, thermore you’ll like the place.
7. I never had an intention of going to the Barley’s party.
8. Children don’t need to do homework every night.
9. English people are said to be quiet and severed.
10. Not only is she a famous singer, but she’s also an actress.
TEST FOR UNIT 6
I. A. 1. b 2. d 3. d 4. a 5. d 6. a
B. 1. c 2. b 3. d 4. b 5. b
II . 1. a 2. d 3. a 4. c 5. d 6. d 7. b 8. b 9. a 10. c
11. a 12. d 13. b 14. a 15. d
III. A. 1.c 2. a 3. c 4. b 5. b 6. a 7. a 8. b 9 c 10. c
11. c 12. c 13. c 14. c 15. d
B. 1. d (than) 4. a (run as quickly) 7. c (largest) 10. a (lighter)
2. b (more) 5. a (be traveling) 8. d (best)
3. a (be) 6. c (less) 9. a (where)
IV. 1. b 2. c 3. d 4. a 5. b
V. A. 1. d 2. a 3. c 4. b 5. d 6. b 7. c 8. d 9. b 10. c
B. 1. a 2. b 3. c 4. d 5. b 6. a
VI. 1. d 2. c 3. a 4. a 5. d 6. c
I. 1. a 2. b 3. c 4. b 5. c
II. 6. b 7. a 8. c 9. d 10. c 11. d 12. b 13. d 14. a 15. c
III.16. a 17. b 18. c 19. c 20. b 21. c 22. c 23. d 24. d 25. b
IV. 26. b (what I thought) 30. c (to whom) 34. a (In spite of)
27. a (to walk) 31. b (return) 35. a (had)
28. c (oldest) 32. a (twenty-one-year old)
29. c (them done) 33. d (better/ much better)
V. 36. a 37.d 38. b 39. d 40. b 41.c 42. a 43. b 44. c 45. d
VI. 46. b 47. d 48. d 49. a 50. d
THE SECOND- SEMESTER EXAMINATION
I. 1. c 2. a 3. c 4. b 5. a
II. 6. c 7. d 8. d 9. c 10. a
III. 11. a 12. d 13. b 14. b 15. c 16. c 17. d 18.b 19. b 20.d 21.b
22. c 23. c 24 c 25. c
IV. 26. B (have been made) 28. B (will affect) 30. A (borrow)
27. D (poets) 29. D (has)
V. 31. d 32. c 33. b 34. c 35. a
VI. 36. a 37. c 38. b 39. a 40. b 41. c 42. c 43. b 44. d 45. c
VII. 46. c 47. c 48. d 49. c. 50. a
VIII. 51. Quoc Tu Giam, (which was) the first university in Vietnam, was estab-
lished on the grounds of Van Mieu.
52. Concord used to be the fastest passenger plane in the world.
53. If Minh had come to the nationnal park with us last week he would have enjoyed it
54. Alexander Fleming was a Scotsman who discovered penicillin.
55. The city of London was founded by the Romans in the year 43AD.
IX. 56. If I lived in a big city, I could go to the cinema more often.
57. I wish I had told you the truth.
58. In the Spite of her hard work, she never seems to succeed.
59. So expensive was the Picasso painting that nobody could by it.
60 Minerals continue to be taken from the earth in immense quantities /
Minerals in immense quantities continue to be taken from the earth